Monday, October 8, 2012

Samosa Packets with Tuna Filling

Yum

If you were given one more life, a chance at rebirth, who would you choose to be? Do I hear Sachin Tendulkar? Shah Rukh Khan, Big B, Bill Gates?

I would be reborn as "Kuttan", the notoriously lazy cat at my aunt's house. With looks (a super white coat and a bottlebrush tail) that work in his favour, he has been living the life of a Badshah, and has caused me some serious envy. To this day, he has never raised a paw to obtain his food. Instead, he eats to his heart's content and rather a lot more than what he actually needs. Being overweight doesn't seem to bother him in the least, infact, the fatter he is, the cuter, the more spoilt and admired he is. He can sleep all day long if he wishes to, and he usually chooses the sofa or the fluffiest mattress in the house, wherever it is quite and comfortable. And whoever said cats have limited facial expressions? Try giving Kuttan company when he doesn't feel like it, and he walks away with an expression that says just how repulsive he thinks you are. And no one ever points a finger at him for his rudeness.

Yes, Kuttan has it ALL!




Except, a couple of tins of tuna that I am not about to share with him, much as he loves it. :D I think tuna is the only thing that makes cats seem somehow more human, less disdainful. 


These were the last of the tuna tins that my brother gave me and I wondered what to do with them for quite sometime. I wanted to make something special and the planning went on for so long that the tins were in danger of reaching their expiry date soon. (If I had applied so much thought to the energy crisis problem, I would have come up with a Nobel Prize winning solution, I am sure). Not that tinned food is not available in plenty over here. They are, but I decided a long time back that I was not going to buy 500 grams of tinned tuna for the price of several generations of the fresh version, not unless I was earning in dollars, thankyou.


Just when I thought I will have to make my usual tuna sandwich before the tins puffed up and even Kuttan turned up his nose at them, I saw the recipe for packet samosas on Surya TV. It was essentially a crepe stuffed with a spicy chicken filling, dipped in beaten egg and fried. while my mom used to make rolls of this kind, I had never had it in the form of neat square packets. So, I gave it a shot, but using a tuna filling instead of chicken.


Recipe:

The crepe:
2 cups plain flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups water (approximately)
To taste, salt

Mix together plain flour, eggs and salt. Mix in water little by little to form a loose batter. Whisk well so that there are no lumps. Add a small ladle full of mixture to a non stick frying pan on medium heat and spread it out  into a circular shape quickly. Cover and cook till done. (There is no need to turn and cook the other side).

The batter is enough to make about 14 pancakes.

Tuna filling:
400 grams canned tuna, drained
1 onion, finely chopped
2 green chilies, finely chopped
1 cm piece ginger, finely chopped 
1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
A handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons pepper powder
2 cups shedded cabbage
To taste, salt
2 tablespoons oil

Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Saute onion, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves till onion has softened. Add tuna and break up the fish chunks with your spoon. Saute till water has dried out. Mix in cabbage, coriander leaves, salt and pepper. Let it cook till cabbage has softened. 

The packet samosas:
You need
Crepes
Tuna filling
1 egg, beaten lightly
Oil, to shallow fry
As required, plain flour paste

Method:


Add 2 tablespoons of the tuna filling to the centre of the pancake. Fold the pancake as shown in the image above. Stick each fold by applying flour paste. Repeat till all pancakes and filling are used up.

Dip each packet into beaten egg and fry over medium heat till brown. Turn over and fry the other side as well. Remove from oil and drain on absorbent papers. 

Serve hot with tomato ketchup.


Note:
You can use chicken, shrimp, shredded vegetables etc as your filling. 

If you are the health conscious kind, you can skip frying the packets. Also, you can substitute wheat flour for plain flour.

And as you are while your time away, connect with me on Facebook or on Pinterest!

17 comments:

  1. these sounds so yummy!! love the filling as well as the crepe skins...also like the unique shape! Love the clicks too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempting & delicious tea time snack,would love to have a bite..Great clicks!!
    Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading about Kuttan...He seems the luckiest on earth...:)...Tuna cutlets looks delicious...Love your way of presenting...It looks very complete...nothing more or less...The photo looks balanced...Great work..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will definitely try this... loved the pics, it looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really yummy Indu....Gonna try it for sure.....Never seen square packets before.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Packet samosa looks so delicious and a innovative idea ... accidently bumped into your blog, you have a lovely space ... following you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! Eeeexcellent. I'm going to try to fill them with strawberries and banana and chocolate and serve them as dessert with ice cream and sprinkles! How about it?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tora, in Kerala, they do stuff the crepes with sweetened coconut and nuts. Think the fruit filling will actually be very good!

      Delete
  8. Such cute munchies! Crepes with samosa filling..looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Er..sorry..I meant the samosa-style tuna filling :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of these crepe style samosa packets. Though probably I will follow the original recipe that uses chicken. Not a fan of tuna! Pinning this recipe:). I should probably not come to your blog till the end of this week. The pictures are making me crave for hot food! And if I were to choose who to come back as- it would be someone with "thin" genes, so that I can eat as much food I want without ever having to go raw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true! My mom has those genes, she didnt pass them on to me... :(

      Delete
  11. I am so glad that I stumbled upon your blog. Such delicious recipes. I am loving this samosa packets. I make similar ones with puff pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the feedback. Do visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love savory food and snack bite .. specially! This is a brilliant idea .

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound fantastic! I have a few cans of tuna in my pantry that I need a use for, and these sound like a perfect, delicious way to use them. :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...