Thursday, May 3, 2012

Convert Those Overripe Bananas into BONDA!

Yum


I am not all that fond of robusta bananas. But if I am unable to find their tastier cousins, I do buy them knowing that most of them are going to remain untouched on my table, going slowly from green to yellow to brown and finally to the waste bin. On one such occasion, when the bananas were reaching the end of their lifetime on my dining table, my mother (who hates wasting food like all the wise ladies around the world), decided to convert them into bondas. And they disappeared like crazy!


What you need:


2½ ripe robusta bananas
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup sugar (adjust according to sweetness of bananas)
2 pinches soda powder
Oil, to deep fry

Method:


Mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in all the ingredients except oil till well combined and let it rest for half an hour.

Heat oil in a wok over a medium - high flame. Drop in tablespoon by tablespoon of the banana mixture, without overcrowding the pan. When one side is brown, turn over and brown the other side. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve hot.


You can optionally mix coconut slices fried in ghee and sesame seeds in the banana mixture just before frying.



Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. nice yummy looking bondas..the only way i use up overripe bananas were in baking...now i have another recipe to try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice way to use the over ripe bananas,looks tempting.Loved the color of the bonda....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Miss Kottayam that's like our kitchen goodie! Beautiful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! We also make them but call them vazhapazha paniyaram. Traditional recipes are so difficult to present and photograph but you have done this so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is my favorite snack...lovely pics..nice to meet you here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also don't like over ripe bananas and feel a little guilty throwing them out. I usually store them in my freezer for the very rare time I make smoothies or banana bread. This recipe sounds absolutely delicious! I can't wait to try ti!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What exactly is soda powder? I tried looking it up but all I got were results about baking soda and baking powder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, by soda powder I mean cooking soda....

      Delete
    2. You can use baking soda ...

      Delete
  8. they remind me so much of banana buns/mangalore buns that is a hugely popular in karnataka... but so much cuter! i always have a bunch of over-ripe bananas lying at home, gonna try these out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely way to eat bananas that would otherwise hit the compost heap. I am new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome looks so tempting. I suggest you add these pictures to sony's food photography activity at http://www.flickr.com/groups/sonyindiaalpha/discuss/72157629939513013/ You wil surely get many more likes for your efforts. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi...this is my first visit here and I must say you have a fantastic space with so many lipsmacking recipes...I was just drooling at these bondas..fantastic idea, my kiddo would love this for sure.

    Would be visiting here often. Have a fantastic day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Indu. That's an interesting idea for overripe bananas. Never thought of it. I'll have to give it a try. Those bondas look very tempting for your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely snack.. Quick and yummy.. Awesome idea to use overripe bananas dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this...I havent made this for a long long time now...yours look so perfectly done....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum. I've been thinking about making pita bread or naan for a few days, but I think you just convinced me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...