Monday, April 23, 2012

My Tiffin of Sandwiched Indian Omelette



I was listening to the song "Give me some sunshine" from 3 Idiots recently which conveys that heavy workload and exam pressure spoil childhood. The line "Concentrated H2SO4 ne poora bachpan jala daala" (concentrated H2SO4 burnt my entire childhood) struck me significantly, taking me back to my school days when I had  to learn what happened when the dreaded carbon atom bonded with hydrogen, oxygen, itself and god knows who else. I had tried hard to understand the subject, taking down notes, byhearting formulae, drawing diagrams, but finally resigned to the fact that the carbon molecule was far too mean for someone as good natured as me to handle. While I was not alone in loosing to Carbon, there were a few intelligent people who seemed to find organic chemistry as interesting as Mallika Sherawat dancing to an item number. To avoid looking at these gifted few as they listened with rapt attention to stories about allotropes, single bonds and double bonds, and worrying about my inability to understand the same, I took to hiding my lunch box underneath my desk during class time, snatching bits and pieces out of it, and sharing it with other lesser humans, who like me, were looking for better things to do.



I somehow passed my chemistry exam, and sighed with relief when I realised that my college subjects didn't include Oranic Chemistry. I had succesfully left behind the cursed carbon in school, but my habit of eating during class hours stuck on. If you want to eat without drawing attention to yourself, the meal should be non messy and should not have too strong an aroma, which means that rice and fish curry are out, and so is that juicy orange. A sandwiched omelette fits the bill perfectly!


Recipe:

For the Indian omelette:
(This is a very simple recipe, the way I like it. You can try adding in garam masala, coriander leaves, chili powder, chopped ginger etc as per your taste)
2 eggs
1/2 a red onion, chopped very finely
1 green chili, chopped very finely
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
1 teaspoon oil

To sandwich
4 slices of bread
2 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons tomato sauce

Method:
Beat together all ingredients for the omelette except oil with a fork.

Brush the oil onto a pan, warm over a low flame. Pour in the egg mixture. When the underside of the omelette has browned slightly, turn over and cook the other side. Keep aside.

Brush ghee on the bread slices, and toast in a pan till browned to your liking. Spread the tomato sauce over toasted bread, top with omelette, cover with another slice of bread, and serve hot.

How simple is this! I will soon share the recipe for my mother's easy to make tomato sandwich, which was extremely popular in my class.


Bye!

15 comments:

  1. Delicious and quick breakfast...nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had the same tiffin box at school...chemistry was the only subject i hated at school...organic chemistry specifically...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought Simple Omelette could seem so irresistable.. And this lunch box, nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy n quick breakfast,looks so tempting and love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so soo in love with your pictures Indu! And your warm writing too :) So which camera did u end up with?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of an omelette sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'meal shouldnt have too strong an aroma' had me nodding my head in agreement, that rookie mistake got me kicked outa class once :D the omlette looks wonderful.. just the way i remember eating at the small tea stall next to my college...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all,

    @plateful, my new camera is Canon EOS 600D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wholesome pics and sandwich! LOve these minimum props rustic pics. Good show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly how I love it too! This made me so nostalgic Indu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yum. I love sandwiches.. this one looks so appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...