Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Question of Faith

On our way to Kerala, we saw a battered car being pulled out of a deep valley in Sultan Battery. My worried son asked me if we would meet the same fate.
"No", I assured him.
"But why?” he wanted to know.
After some thinking, I said God was with us and he would protect us from harm.
"So wasn't God with them?” came the next question.
Uh-oh!


I told my mom about this incident, and in reply, she told me a story she had heard in church. It was about a priest and his family who had unshakeable faith in God. The little girl was suffering from cancer and the pain killers were not doing her any good anymore. The end was very near and through a haze of pain, she told her father that she could see a hand extending towards her, a hand very much like her father's.  "It is the God's hand, hold on to it tightly, my dear", he replied.

I find such faith commendable and frustrating at the same time. During the darkest of hours, how is it possible not to question, how can one find consolation in the will of God?

5 comments:

  1. Kids get touched with small incidents..lovely post !!
    Wish you n your family A very Happy New Year !!
    Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a true faith does not make us question God even during the darkest of hours , it helps us to find consolation in the will of God

    Please teach your baby Psalms 23 , especially the 4th verse... It will give him the hope that Lord is always there with him and protect him from all evils of this world..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read some time ago, probably Tagore?! Faith is like the bird that senses dawn and sings while it is still dark.
    However, there is a good statement I like to read when i come across unwavering believers of God as well as athiests.
    "To admit doubt removes the arrogance of certainty prevalent in so many
    believers and atheists alike and replaces it with the humility -- and even
    peace -- that comes with not knowing the answers. I have peace in knowing
    there's a chance I'm wrong. For it is within the bosom of doubt that my
    faith in God may be nourished."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice statement TC

      Delete
  4. Very thought provoking. There are so many questions that children ask that we have no answer to. As long as faith doesn't cross borders and turn into blind faith, I feel keeping this faith helps a lot. It gives courage and hope. In my opinion, if any faith asks you to stop asking questions is the faith that's not really healthy for us as beings who always want to know and keep our curious side alive and content.Asking question is of paramount importance and that our children find themselves free to do so is heartening.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...